Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Alicia SIlverstone's Mom Style

I’m struck by how Celebrity Momsters seem to be categorized so simply into either of just a few categories. And I think we do the same thing with regular mothers, too.
We’re always either:
1.       earth-crunchy-breastfeeding-mamas who love every moment of motherhood or
2.       bottle feeding-allowing TV watching-moms who complain about finding balance.
I’m even guilty of this. As soon as I saw Parenting Magazine’s Q&A with Clueless Star Alicia Silverstone who is mother to 11-month-old Bear Blu and author of the vegan cookbook The Kind Diet, I knew I would be reading about a category #1 Celebrity Momster.
I was ready for the whole mother hood is the best thing ever line of answers, and true to stereotype…

Describe your parenting style in one word: Attuned.
What's always in your refrigerator? Vegenaise, Earth Balance “butter,” and umeboshi plum vinegar—yum! We also eat a lot of flaxseed oil and kale.
Favorite place on earth: Breastfeeding my son and staring into his eyes, while holding his little tush.
Best piece of parenting advice you ever got: It passes so quickly, so enjoy every moment.
First word that pops into your head when you hear the word “mom:” My heart just melts.
I’m not knocking Silverstone’s interview or lifestyle by any means; I think it’s wonderful!

I’m just thinking most of us moms fall into a middle-zone somewhere, like we try to eat healthy, but maybe don’t always succeed, and we don’t set our kids in front of TV every day, but recognize it is sometimes a necessary convenience.
We recognize the beautiful privilege we’ve been given to raise our children, but we also would like to have our own lives and selves outside of being “mom.”
Do you think we are more often shown Celebrity Momsters living the extremes? Would you like to see more examples of moms living the middle-ground in the tabloids?

No comments:

Post a Comment