Monday, May 21, 2012

Attachment Parenting Dialogue

Celebrity moms are weighing in on attachment parenting after Time magazine’s controversial breastfeeding photo cover.
Us magazine reports that Alanis Morisette appeared on The Billy Bush Show and said, "I'll breastfeed and I'll be breastfeeding until my son is finished and he weans. I think it affords the child, when he grows up, to have a lot less therapy to go to. For me, I protect his safety and his well-being and his attachment. That stage of development is a very important stage."
So the Time cover has definitely opened up the conversation amongst mothers, but is it just about moms getting their opinions on the matter out without working toward an open dialogue?
"Time, no! You missed the mark! You're supposed to be making it easier for breastfeeding moms," Alyssa Milano tweeted. "Your cover is exploitive & extreme."
I’m interested in how this cover can be seen as exploitive and for whom? Perhaps for the boy who really has no conscious choice in whether he wants to be always remembered as the toddler nursing for America?
Is the cover helpful in any other ways? Do nursing moms feel more comfortable now nursing their toddlers?

No comments:

Post a Comment