Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How do Celebrity Moms Feel About Gay Comic Book Characters?

I am very open-minded and liberal and have no problems with what anyone chooses for their own lives as long as it does no harm to others.
But I still felt unsure where I stood on introducing gay characters into comics when I first read Perez Hilton's report on the issue in his blog entry: One Million (Annoying) Moms Are Against Gay Superheroes. Hilton thinks these mothers are “incredibly angry women.”

“After threatening to boycott JCPenney for hiring Ellen DeGeneres as its spokesperson and then going after our main man Archie for its depiction of a gay interracial wedding, the group of are out for more blood.
When Marvel revealed its first openly gay superhero - Northstar - was marrying his long time boyfriend in the next issue, the super pissy moms wrote an open letter to anyone who would listen.
Here's what they said:
"As a parent and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am extremely disappointed that you would use a children's superhero character to help endorse same-sex marriage and glorify the homosexual lifestyle. It is disgusting that your company would participate in introducing sexual orientation to children when they are not equipped to understand what sexual preferences involve. Unfortunately, children are now being exposed to same-sex marriage and the gay lifestyle choice in your comic books. Gay adults do not need superheroes as role models. Your company is damaging impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light. As a Christian, I know that homosexuality is a sin. The Bible states this clearly in Romans 1:26-27. A comic book is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand. Issues of this nature are being introduced too early and too soon, which is extremely unnecessary. Please do the right thing and reverse your decision to have sexual orientation displayed to young readers. My decision to support your company and parent company depends on it. I look forward to hearing from you regarding my concern."
I was thinking that it’s true that sexual orientation is not something my kids are aware of yet, but then I realized that that isn’t true.

My children see representations of heterosexual couples all the time. That is a norm that they are raised with. My daughter who is eight is old enough to understand issues I point out sometimes like, “Oh, you know so-and-so has two moms.” Or sometimes I’ll find ways to bring up, “There’s no problem with whom people choose to have a relationship with. Usually we see a mom and a dad, but there can be two dads, etc.”
And my daughter just is like, okay. Whatever. And that has been my method of introducing concepts she can understand.
I suppose if my children saw more of a “romance” of two men in a comic book it would raise some questions, but I don’t think that would be a bad thing. It would be a teaching opportunity.
But of course, that is because I myself am fine with homosexuality. I can see how people who believe homosexuality is a “sin” would not see this as a teaching moment.
I am curious if any celebrity moms may speak out on the issue.
How do you feel about gay characters in comics as a mother?

No comments:

Post a Comment